Hi there!

Welcome to my secondary blog. This is mostly where I'll be posting what I've written/created. If it doesn't make sense, don't worry, you're not alone-**I** barely understand half of this myself. Questions? Don't be afraid to ask in the comments! If you're looking for/interested in my regular blog, here ya go: http://chaosrulesmesoclosethebox.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

buh buh DUUUUH


“Joella, have you ever birthed a child before?”
I looked up at His Lordship, highly confused. The Ladyship was much past childbearing age and he did not seem the type to keep a mistress.
‘Well, yes, m’lord, many times. I’ve delivered a princess or two, one prince, and various other servants’ children. Why do you ask, begging your pardon?”
He brushed his chin with the end of his quill.  He was scrutinizing me with his dark eyes, but had a smirk on his face.
“Joella, can I swear you to absolute secrecy and ask for your help? I will reunite you with your Benjamin.”
My heart thudded in my chest. I took several deep breathes.  To have Ben again? To be held in his arms? It was irresistible.
“I’ll keep your secret. But I want to know what it is before I commit to it.”
Sometimes, my mouth gets ahead of my mind. It’s frustrating.
He inhaled and stood up. Opening his desk drawer, he pulled out a miniature, holding t out to me after glancing at for a moment. I took it and stared for a moment. The resemblance between the girl in the portrait and Lord Brathen was unmistakable. I looked back up at him, confused. She looked nothing like the Lady-her hair was dark with light eyes, whereas the Lady had bright blonde tresses and dark eyes.
“Who is she, m’lord?”
“She’s my eldest daughter.”
I dropped the portrait. Brathen sighed.
“Let me explain. I had a fling when I was young, before I met Matilde. She was beautiful, dark and captivating. I was madly in love with her. We…we eloped. No one knew about it. On our wedding night, we conceived a child. I was ecstatic. I wanted to announce our joy with the world!
“But sadly, Esmerle had lived a hard life. She was accused of witchcraft by the gypsy troupe I had stolen her away from. I did everything in my power to keep her from being trialed and executed. It was easier once she began to show, but she refused to say who had fathered her child, trying to protect me. They let her bear the child, but after that my power was useless. I watched as they burned her, disguised and holding my month old daughter.
“I secreted the child away, gave her to a wealthy family that had just lost a child. I made sure she was provided for, that her family came up in society so I could keep an eye on her. She married another lord. Matilde knows nothing about her, and she can’t. Mariana is near her due date, carrying my grandchild and I only want the best for her. Please, Joella, will you deliver the child?”
I sat down, astounded. He was almost pleading with me. I pushed my curls back from my face and gave him a stony look.
“You swear on your grandchild that you will reunite me with Benjamin?”
“I do, so long as the child is delivered safely.”
“Then I so swear to deliver your grandchild safely into this world.”
I stood and shook his hand, electricity running through me, my heart pounding as I struggled to control my breathing.

As soon as I could get away, I raced down to the kitchen. Johnny was making baby eyes at Red, trying to earn an extra sweet or two.
“Johnny! Please, run over to Miss Belle’s and tell her I need her help with a birth, not now, but soon.”
He tipped his hat, took a roll and a handful of sweets, gave Red a friendly bat on the bum, and sprinted out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment